Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Office of Business Contracts located?

The Office of Business Contracts moved to a new office location in January 2017. The office is now located in the UT Administration Building (UTA) at 1616 Guadalupe St., Suite 3.304.

Can I sign contracts on behalf of the University?

Only an individual with a written delegation of authority from the president of UT Austin may sign contracts on behalf of the University. A University contract without an authorized signature may be invalid and unenforceable and may create individual liability for the unauthorized signer.

When should I use a contract vs. a purchase order?

Contract: Use a contract for the procurement of services or deliverable goods when you have a complex scope of work with a multitude of deliverables.

Purchase Order: Use a Purchase Order (P.O.) for purchases of deliverable goods, continuing services (e.g., copy machine maintenance) and software licenses, wherein the P.O. Terms and Conditions of Orders will govern the procurement.

A P.O. and a contract may be issued for the same transaction, typically for the purchase of technology.

How long will my contract review take?

Agreements are processed on a first-in first-out basis and average one to two weeks turnaround depending on complexity and volume of agreements already in the queue. Agreements that require Special Handling could take up to a month or longer.

Requests for priority review: Rush requests noted on or attached to the Business Contract Review Form will be accommodated on a case-by-case basis, depending on workload.

What does “Fully Executed” mean?

Fully Executed means that all parties have agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract and any revisions thereto, and they have signed and initialed the written contract.

Does the University have to sign first?

The agreement does not have to be signed by University first. However, Business Contracts should review the agreement before you submit to the vendor for signature.

Who signs agreements between two University Departments?

Agreements between two University departments may be negotiated and executed at the departmental level. Examples include but are not limited to agreements with the AT&T Executive Education Conference Center, Frank Erwin Center, Texas Performing Arts, University Unions, and Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Contracts between University departments and AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center

The AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center is a University department. The agreement may be negotiated and signed at the departmental level under rules established by the department/college/school, regardless of dollar amount.

Does the University fill out credit applications?

The University does not provide account numbers or business references to vendors. As a state agency, our Annual Financial Report is audited by The State Auditor's Office, published online, and is available at any time. If a vendor requests a credit reference, departments should contact Accounting and Financial Management - Administration Services for assistance via the Request for W-9 & Credit Letters. Administration Services will then send a credit letter to the vendor notifying them of this policy.